Let us consider what it is to be imprisoned.
Just when he had gained some small measure of contentment as a soldier fighting for the freedom of a nation, Fei Fong Wong was captured by his enemies, and detained in Nortune D Block. D Block was a prison for people from all walks of life, whether they be enemy soldiers, malcontents that threatened the safety of others, or simply those unable to afford the conveniences of modern of society. But while this area seems to be open air and “free” for its downtrodden residents, Fei is outfitted with a bomb collar that will detonate and literally blow his head off if he contravenes the rules. The message is clear: obey or die.
And so Fei is forced, against his will, to do… exactly what he always does.
First, Ricardo “Rico” Banderas attempts to establish the proverbial pecking order by forcing Fei into something like a prison Fight Club. Fei’s indomitable will triumphs, and he trounces those that would battle a man who is barely even awake. This wicked “baptismal” is then followed almost immediately by a recruitment by Imperial Battling Committee Member Rue Cohen. Rue wanted Fei to forsake his fists and once again get in the robot Weltall to (eventually) defeat Rico in Gear combat. Fei was told he would earn his freedom through this act, and that appeared to be the only way Fei would escape his unjust incarceration. In order to have any chance at a life, Fei would have to fight yet again.
And (after an unfortunate bit of sabotage on the part of the champ) Fei fights and is undefeated in the arena. Fei is an excellent martial artist and Gear pilot, so of course he is practically invincible when battling the jalopies of the local residents. This gear is the god-slayer; what hope does W-Shaver have?
But when pilots start going missing, Fei is suspected of being a murderer. Rico, believing Fei to be seeking revenge for any one of many reasons, joins Fei in trying to find “the real killer” either thanks to a feeling of duty or a general fear that Fei is going to murder him next. And how does Fei clear his name? Why, he fights every last mutant in the sewer. Sometimes twice! Eventually, Redrum is discovered and executed for the crime of being a freaky mutant sliming his way around the underground. Was Redrum really responsible for murder? Fei believed so, so Redrum was punched into the stratosphere.
So, complete with solving (“solving”) crimes and fighting in two loose fighting tournaments, was Fei’s life on the inside any different from his existence outside those bars? No. The prison that Fei had created for himself was so much stronger than any bomb collar ever could be. It was the trappings of his own life that kept Fei bound, and he would only find true freedom when the cycle of violence ended.
After he punched about a thousand more soldiers and mutants, of course…
Even Worse Streams presents Xenogears
Original Stream Night: February 2, 2021
Night of Battle Arena Toshinden 3
Random Notes on the Stream:
- Welcome back to the ‘gears. Rico is Soulful Blanka, the saddest of Blankas.
- And this turns into a history of Blanka / Street Fighter racism.
- Caliscrub shows up early… but still misses the Blanka fight.
- BEAT does a Paradise Lost.
- And now… BEAT found Donald Trump fanfic. We will not discuss such further.
- Being on stream is “like being alone, but better.” This… might be an own.
- Hammer has glasses… no one knows why. Why do we have glasses? Nobody knows, either, but at least we can note Hammer’s first appearance.
- And then we remember all the cartoons we ever liked are a million years old. … Also, Fei had a bomb collar removed. Sorta.
- Fei lives in a porn universe. Just with robots. There will be no further elaboration on this fact.
- BEAT quotes Ephesians 2:10, “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” That’s one of the good ones!
- If anyone is counting how often we mention Hulk Hogan’s Pastamania, here’s another instance. Soon, we will fight in a fake fighting game.
- Fei lost his fight due to Weltall exploding… so let’s talk about why the Ninja Turtles chose their weapons.
- “They built a fighting game into Xenogears and nobody noticed.”
- We insult Amazon while streaming on Twitch… this may end poorly.
- “You wanna see something soul-rending?”
- As we enter the sewers, we talk about the ugliest King of Fighters. I will continue to defend Max.
- “Mychronics, what a country.”
- No one knows the lyrics to Rico Suave. But we have to do something to stay sane in this sewer dungeon…
- “Those are some gross dolphins, dude.”
- Hey, this was the stream right before Boxboy + Boxgirl times.
- This sewer is driving us apart as we argue over whether Gamecube games are any good. I am firmly pro-Double Dash.
- We can at least agree Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time is terrible.
- Everyone knows how long it took to get to Redrum. It was forever.
- “Have you ever found Waldo? It’s a pain in the ass!” … Oh, look, we close as Elly gets her own “meanwhile”. Been a while since we saw her.
Next time on Xenogears: Fei gets early release for good explosions.