Let us consider the story of Ricardo Banderas.
At the age of 30, a man named Sigmund had become the Kaiser of Kislev. Sigmund had had a hard life, being one of the last survivors of the nation of Elru. As a result of his heritage, Sigmund was a demi-human, complete with elven ears. However, he could pass as a “normal” human, as pointy ears are easily hidden by a bright orange hat, and you barely even notice that hat when a guy owns a pipe organ the size of a giant robot. Kaiser Sigmund was very successful as a soldier and politician, and much of that can be attributed to his apparent normalcy.
Sigmund’s son… not so much.
When Sigmund’s wife Anne was pregnant, malevolent doctors in the employ of Solaris administered some nasty drugs. This caused the beastly traits of Sigmund’s genetics to present themselves harder, and, when Rico was born, he had a skin color only a Blanka could love. Anne and Rico were banished (Sigmund was unaware, of course). Anne was left to raise Rico alone in the slums, and, a mere decade after losing her position as empress, Anne had wasted away into death. Rico was now all alone in the world.
Even when Anne was alive, Rico did not have a good childhood. Racism against demi-humans was always on the rise, and being an orange haired freak did not help Rico’s reputation. After his mother passed, Rico was forced to steal to survive as a poor orphan, and the local law enforcement did not turn a blind eye to this undesirable’s undesirable actions. Rico, son of a kaiser, had a mere ten years as a free child, and was then sent to prison for the next twenty.
But despite being a detainee of a discriminatory system, Rico was able to succeed. Rico grew into his beastly strength, and was able to learn how to fight with all the intensity of a man that is 90% muscle. By the time Rico was 20, he had been accepted into the Battler tournament, and was granted his own Gear. A year later, he was the victor, and reigned as the undefeated champion of all prisoners in Kislev D-Block. His Stier Gear was S-tier, without peer.
Rico may have reigned forever had it not been for the arrival of Fei Fong Wong. No one can say if it was the power of the Slayer of God, his inclination toward not fighting brute strength with brute strength, or the fact that Rico had been injured previously while skulking through the sewers that caused Rico to lose. But Rico did lose, and, after so long as the undisputed champion, Rico was robbed of his identity. Shortly thereafter, a despondent Rico attempted to assassinate the Kaiser by crashing his Gear into Sigmund’s skybox during a fight. When that attempt failed, Rico attempted to raid the Kaiser’s home, but was unsuccessful and imprisoned once again. This time, Rico was to be executed via being dropped into a terrarium with a dinosaur. That is enough for most people…
But Rico survived! Rico was rescued by his rival, Fei. But Fei was only there because of the other prisoners that Rico had led in his time in D Block. Rico may have been a downtrodden prisoner, but he was still a good man who inspired others, and ultimately his soul was saved because those others decided to repay the favor. And, from there, Rico realized how his hometown was important to him, and decided to pilot Stier in an effort to save everyone. Rico was instrumental in protecting the nation that had treated him poorly for nearly his entire life.
Rico, despite everything, triumphed over his own adversity, and became a leader and liberator on par with his father.
And then he is never mentioned in the scripture ever again. Let’s assume he had a good time.
Even Worse Streams presents Xenogears
Original Stream Night: February 16, 2021
Night of the Breath of Fire (4)
Random Notes on the Stream:
- Starting by talking about potential Nintendo Direct announcements (the one that would premiere 2/17/21). Rumors of Zelda games are forever!
- My Link is always Chaotic Lazy.
- We have it on official recording that none of us ever believed Sora would be in Smash Bros. Ever. I predicted Xenoblade 2 characters. Pyra and Mythra were announced the next day. I am a genius.
- “His name is S-Tier?”
- Fei wins the tournament, Dominia is introduced, and we talk about the Smash Bros that canonically f$&@.
- As Rico has a flashback to his childhood, let us talk about Namco Webcomics involving Chis Hastings.
- Time to hate on Donkey Kong 64. Platforming can never be fun (according to Rare).
- Big Joe is skulking around the alleys while we discuss Conker’s Bad Fur Day and the impossibility of it having a sequel. Oh, and Caliscrub arrives.
- We have to rescue Rico while Caliscrub begs to know when Hammer will announce his mad skillz. Gonna be a while!
- “Please, videogame. I just want to play videogame.”
- Finally! Gameplay! With trains! And discussing Street Fighter launches!
- Sodom should appear in more Street Fighter games. And, hey, we have a dungeon here.
- The “just had an article about this” mentioned refers to Rockin’ Kats.
- We almost have the Weltall back! And Balrog and Ed are dicks.
- We rescued Rico! And we haven’t talked about Xenogears actually on the stream at all. All fighting games! All the time!
- Here come Elly and her boys.
- “Clowns are not a race.” Kinda!
- “Wait. They’re star-crossed lovers and they both have a robot?”
- Yes, Fei and Elly take a moment to hop out of their Gears to survey their own destruction.
- Please do not get me started on the Xeno-timeline. We are trying to fight a giant robot boss here!
- Fanboymaster claims he would be inordinately surprised if Fatal Frame 5 ever left the WiiU. Guess what was released across all consoles the following October!
- Elly is saved by Grahf while we discuss Punch-Out and Ashita no Joe yet again.
- “Hit ‘em with the Blanka ball!”
- “There’s a lot I like about this game, but I’m glad I’m not playing it” is the final significant thought before we call it a night.
Next time on Xenogears: Back to committing war crimes.
Chrono Trigger always made this less ominous